Sunday, February 7, 2010

Essential Question #8

Are Petruchio and Katherine in love?

My definition of love is emotion filled with deep affection towards another person. I believe that Petruchio does not love Katherine, but Katherine loves him. He sees Katherine more like a challenge than as an actual wife, "Though little fire grows great with little wind, yet extreme gusts will blow out fire and all. So I to her and so she yeilds to me......" (II. I. 141-143). He treats her like property and and makes sure that she is obedient. Katherine seems to love Petruchio because she is submissive to everything that he tells her to do. She truly wants their marriage to work so she did anything that would make Petruchio happy. She allows Petruchio to tame her and she is no longer aggressive. Petruchio did not marry Katherine because he loved her, he married her because he wanted the dowry from her father, "Thus in plain terms: your father hath consented that you shall be my wife, your dowry 'greed on, and will you, nill you, I will marry you." (II. I. 284-286). Petruchio cares more about controlling Katherine rather than creating a good relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment